The School of Film, Faculty of Fine Arts of AUTh announces Qualifying Exams for the Academic Year 2022-2023 concerning:
-Graduates of Higher Education Institutions
-Graduates of Technological Educational Institutions or equivalent to them, S.PE.T.E., of Greece or abroad (recognized by Hellenic N.A.R.I.C.)
-Graduates of Higher Schools with more than two years of study or equivalent Schools of the Ministry of Education and other ministries.
NOTICE: Graduates of private Film Schools can not participate even if they have the equivalence from FORTH, (Opinion of the Legal Council of the State 224/2004).
Secretariat of the School of Film, AUTh
Administration building, ground floor, Office 11
Tel: 2310991305 – 2310997398
The Assembly of the School of Film, Faculty of Fine Arts of AUTh at its meeting No. 111/19-4-22 decided the following regarding the qualifying examinations:
- All candidates will be tested in three courses:
Creative script writing
Film Theory & History
2. All successful candidates will be enrolled in the first semester of study.
3. The curriculum and bibliography for the above courses (quoted below)
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications will be submitted on November 1-15, 2022, either in person at the Secretariat of the School, or by registered mail to the following address: “Secretariat of the School of Film, AUTh Administration building, ground floor, Office 11, Campus, 54124”.
- Copy of degree * or certificate of completion of studies. **
*In case of a degree from a foreign Institution, the academic recognition of N.A.R.I.C. or FORTH respectively, is necessary.
** Along with the certificate of completion of studies, candidates must submit a statement that in case of success they will provide a copy of their degree by enrollement, otherwise they lose the right to enroll.
CURRICULUM AND BIBLIOGRAPHY
Creative script writing
A course that examines the candidates’ ability in invention, creative composition and narration. The candidate will be given a series of words or a sentence or a condition and based on these, a short story shall be written.
The size of the text (the approximate number of words) requested, as well as the narrative choices available to the candidates, both for the writing form and for the means of expression they can use (straight/oblique speech, dialogue), will be clearly defined during the pronunciation of the questions.
The nature of this course does not dictate a specific bibliography.
Candidates could refer to the following books for help:
- Σενάριο, Η τέχνη της επινόησης και της αφήγησης στον κινηματογράφο (66 ασκήσεις και 1 μέθοδος), Χριστίνα Kallas-Καλογεροπούλου, εκδόσεις «Νεφέλη», Αθήνα 2006.
- Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting (1979), Syd Field.
- Το σενάριο, Από την αρχική ιδέα στην εκτέλεση, Αντώνης Κεχαγιάς, εκδόσεις «Έλλην», 1997.
Study material includes the following:
- Bazin,André. Τι είναι ο κινηματογράφος. Τόμος Ι. Μτφ. Κώστας Σφήκας. Αθήνα, Αιγόκερως, 1988-1989, σσ. 135-156.
- Bordwell, David και Kristin Thompson. Εισαγωγή στην Τέχνη του Κινηματογράφου. ΑΘήνα: ΜΙΕΤ, 2004, σσ. 91-155.
- Bordwell, David και Kristin Thompson. Ιστορία του Κινηματογράφου. ΑΘήνα: Πατάκης, 2011, σσ. 13-51, 67-71, 85-115, 119-141, 214-237.
- Kracauer,Siegfried. Θεωρία του κινηματογράφου: Η απελευθέρωση της φυσικής πραγματικότητας. Μτφ. Δημοσθένης Κούρτοβικ. Αθήνα: Κάλβος, 1983, σσ. 55-73
- Ray, Robert Β.Μια Κάποια Τάση του Χολιγουντιανού Κινηματογράφου 1930-1980. Μτφ. Νίκη Σπυροπούλου. Θεσσαλονίκη: University Studio Press, 2011, σσ. 41-85.
- Stam, Robert.Εισαγωγή στη Θεωρία του Κινηματογράφου. Μτφ. Κατερίνα Κακλαμάνη. Αθήνα: Πατάκης, 2006, σσ. 115-127.
Telling a story with pictures. A course that examines the candidate’s ability to narrate with images, to hold the thread that connects these images. The candidates are given 40-50 numbered photos. Different types, different qualities, different sizes. They are asked to select at least 5 and at most 15 of them, and put them in order, so that a story can be told.
They can use small texts of 1-2 sentences between the pictures. However, the significance is not on the words, but on the pictures. Along with the series of photos, a one-and-a-half-page text explaining the story is essential.
For the last lesson the candidates must bring with them scissors and a transparent adhesive tape.